Wednesday, July 9, 2008

One week to go

Well, this time next week I'll be on my way to Vancouver.

Wow.
Nervous - yes,
Eager - yes.
Organised - No.

Anyway, the plan .....
Fly to Vancouver (16/7), overnight with a friends Aunt/Uncle near airport then relocate to central Vancouver for 3 nights to chill out, relax, check out Vancouver etc. Have always wanted to go there so this will probably just be a quick recce.
Then its the train north to Jasper, AB (don't ask me about the mission getting the ticket!)
Start riding south.....

Jasper to Banff is called the Icefields Parkway. Basically a highway with super beautiful scenery as I understand it. This is my 300km 'warm-up' to touring. Maybe four days, who knows.

Banff is where the route starts proper.
Just another 2,711 miles / 4,337km's to the Mexico border, then head back somewhere (El Paso or Tucson) with an airport to fly to LA and then home.
Not much change out of 5,000km's.
Have 'planned' on approx 70 days riding with 10 or 12 spares days, but can always change the flight home, in fact I expect to.

Organised? Yeah right.
Mostly sorted, with the exception of a rear wheel.
The current one at 6yrs old and 3rd freewheel is due to expire shortly. So I need a new wheel, and one that will last. Strong, light'ish and durable is what I need and I figure a Hope Pro2 Hub with Mavic XM819 disc rim is the bizzo (for any bike geeks). Not cheap, esp in NZ, and I'm a tightarse. So ordered one 12th June from the UK for $250 less. Problem is that they have been outta stock on the hub till last week. Not amused at all. Typical of me to do things the hard way. Anyway, it was dispatched last night, the UPS tracker tells me that it is in Dubai right now and expected in Auckland on Friday. So hopefully Monday. Just in Time as they say.
Yes I'm sweating.
And swearing.
And there is a plan B for if it doesn't turn up in time. A hugely generous offer from Mike to use his spare wheel. How good is that !
Hopefully the new rear disc brake will turn up tomorrow...

Will need to get a few thing in Vancouver, water purifier and most importantly Bear Spray. Don't leave home without it.

But a 'pre-pack' yesterday looked OK wrt weight (2x 23kg bags max) so that looks good.

No comments: